The Smithsonian Institution’s National Zoological Park, founded in 1889, underwent renovations to its police station and public pavilion in order to enhance the 163-acre site and better serve visitors. The first half of the two-phased project created space for events and public programs with the construction of a new public pavilion. Scope of work included demolition of the previous food pavilion, permanent relocation of the public restrooms and installation of a new electrical substation.
Phase two will feature a complete renovation of the Police Station to include a new stair/elevator tower and Segway storage addition.
D2 performed site demolition, sediment & erosion control measures, clearing and grubbing.